(105) 'The Occurrence And The Marmite Man?'

Ken

(105) 'The Occurrence And The Marmite Man?'

Ken
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Some people don't understand Chris Bushell.  They don't understand his humour or his competitiveness, they just don't get what makes the man tick.  Some say he asks impertinent questions and I've known him to do so, but you know where you stand with my mate, 'Bush,' even if his questions are sometimes a little overbold.  Perhaps he's the, Marmite man, You either like him or you don't, the Tuffs family always has!

One person who could have disliked Bush was a man called Glenville, who drank in the, Cwmann Taverne, some thirty years ago.  He was of Romany stock and the signs of a tough life could be seen by the scars on his face, he looked tough and probably was.  I was told he'd been banned from most of the pubs for good reason, and most people gave him a wide berth.  Every night Glenville would arrive at the pub and take his usual seat at the bar.  When his beer was served he'd put a ten pound note down on the counter and that's where his change would be placed.  It remained there, the money decreasing as he drank, but excluding the landlord, nobody would touch that cash.  When his last pint was drank, and the pile of cash was gone, Glenville would go home.  I never saw him put down a second note, for ten pounds bought a lot of beer in 1985, when a pint cost just sixty nine pence.  The man's lifestyle fascinated me, but one doesn't ask a person with a reputation such as his, questions.  Unless your name is Chris Bushell!

I was playing pool when I heard Chris ask, "So would you describe yourself as a gypsy?"  I'd noticed he'd been talking to, Glenville, but I hadn't expected such a direct question. The next one continued the trend, "Do you live in a caravan then," and I heard him answer that he did.  I was discovering more in minutes from the Bushell interrogation than I'd learned in twelve months of living in Wales.  In answer to a question about electricity, I heard that he had an amazingly long lead that ran from a local farmhouse to his caravan.  I also ascertained that his post was delivered to the local police station for him to collect.  To the next question I heard the reply, "No, I haven't got a supply of running water!" I'd just potted the black pool ball and I cringed when I heard what Chris said next, "How do you keep clean then?" There was a thirty second silence when Glenville just stared in astonishment at such a question. "There's a lot of bloody water in Wales, man," was what he eventually replied. Thankfully he started to laugh at the bold audacity of the question. I've no idea if he liked Marmite, but he obviously liked Chris Bushell!

An example of someone who didn't take to my mate, Bush, occurred when two strangers met on a long ago afternoon. The result was both unexpected and humorous for Chris and his lovely wife Sue. Unexpected for Chris, a respected employee of the Pearl assurance Company and a pillar of the local community. Unexpected for Sue, a successful business woman and a well known member of the PTA at her sons school. It would become humorous for both of them in the years to come, when reminisces of the strange story would bring them a lot of laughter.  However, on the day of the occurrence, there was no laughter, only anger, and a little sign of rage!  It all began when Chris arrived, as normal, to collect his son, James, from school.  As usual, he'd parked his car at the school gates and he got out to wait with the other parents. With Chris, was with his friend, Simon, who had come along to film young James on his new video camera.

This was in the early 1980's, when such things were still new and exciting.   With some eagerness, camera at the ready, they awaited the school bell and coming out time.  Sadly, the joy of that moment was about to be broken. "What the f*ck do you think you're doing," boomed a voice and Simon turned to find an agitated man strongly objecting to the camcorder's use.  When Simon attempted to explain, the loutish oaf aggressively shoved him, saying, "You're a f*cking pervert!"  The oaf then let rip with a fowl mouthed stream of threatening abuse.  Chris stepped in and tried to explain they were simply recording, for posterity, his son coming out of school.  'Oafman,' however, was having none of it, and said again, "F*cking pervert."  In frustration Chris turned and walked away, saying to him, "Your acting like an idiot." The man replied aggressively , "You can f*ck off as well."  At that moment, the occurrence, occurred!

At times of great need, mild mannered Clark Kent, can miraculously change into, 'Superman.'  When crippled newsboy, Billy Batson, utters the word, "Shazam," he instantly becomes, 'Captain Marvel,' the worlds mightiest mortal.  At that moment, in that school car park, when the aggression of an idiot caused the occurrence, easy going Chris Bushell, changed and he became, his feared alter ego, 'Rageman, and his trouble making adversary couldn't believe what confronted him.  Humankind, once again saw what I know as the Bushell tongue of rage, as mighty punches that mostly missed, were thrown at a shocked, 'Oafman.'  The terrified lout was forced backwards onto his own car bonnet and his just deserts continued.  Fearing for her man's safety, Mrs Oafman, rushed to his aid, however, the Bushell tongue of rage could still be seen and, Rageman's, attack could not be stopped.  That was the sight that young James and his pals saw when they came out of school that day, two of their dads and one of their mothers having what was called when I was a child, a school bundle.  Perhaps it was the sight of his son that calmed his father, for apparently the tongue of rage suddenly disappeared, the anger abated and easy going Chris Bushell reappeared for all to see.

Taking advantage of the momentary calm,  Mr. and Mrs. Oafman, made a swift retreat and, as they drove to safety they both raised two fingers to the by now, rather embarrassed, Chris.  Sadly, Simon, hadn't kept the camcorder running, if he had, he could have gone global with a belated, monster, YouTube, hit. There was no sign of that fearful tongue later on that afternoon, when a rather subdued, Chris Bushell, phoned his wife at work.  She told me, he'd said to her, in a quiet and rather sad voice, "You're going to be really annoyed at me."  When she enquired, "Why," he uttered a sentence she'd never expected to hear, "I got into a fight outside the school today."  I'm told the next question that this respected, PTA, mother, asked her man was, "Did anyone see you?"  I'm not sure his answer was entirely truthful but the entire school had!

Some people don't get Chris Bushell, for he is the Marmite man.  Most, like Glenville, understand and like him, but others, such as, 'Oafman,' don't like him at all.  But it was, 'Oafman's,' rudeness and stupidity that created the occurrence that led to the re-emergence of, 'The Bushell Tongue Of Rage,' and he fully deserved the unexpected punishment he received.  If you should be one of those unfortunates who don't understand, Bush, then be careful, and if you see just a flicker of his tongue, then run a four minute mile!
Ken

Re: (105) 'The Occurrence And The Marmite Man?'

Ken
Administrator
This post was updated on .
These two events tell how peoples opinions differ hugely on a friend of mine.  I have personally witnessed the occurrence of his dreaded, 'Tongue Of Rage,' and the overbold questions he sometimes asks.  They annoy some people, but not the family Tuffs!