(111) 'An Opportunistic Kenneth'

Ken

(111) 'An Opportunistic Kenneth'

Ken
Administrator
This post was updated on .
This short story harks back to my Supasports days and was undoubtedly triggered by, 'Kens Cosy, story No.108.'  It involves another of my lucky flukes and this one occurred when I found myself on some sort of crossed telephone line. First, let me explain, at this time we had about a dozen shops and to ensure the staff were always at work on time, I was in the habit of being outside one of the branches at, 8.30am, at least once a week, sometimes two days in a row. It's called keeping them on their toes and it worked well!

We're in 1977 and this reminisce takes me to January 2'nd, the first day of a new trading year.  I had guests at home so I wasn't going to do any spot checks but I still wanted to ensure there were no laggards arriving late.  So I decided to phone each branch of our company and I began with my Walton On Thames shop.  That's when the first lucky fluke of the new year occurred. The shop manager picked up the phone and I heard him say, "Is he there?" to which another voice answered, "No, he's not here, thank God."  I then heard one of the voices say, "Bugger, we could have had a lay in!"  This was followed by a chuckle from both speakers.  This happened four decades ago but I think the two speakers were, Robert Luxford and Andy Kane, two bright young men I liked enormously.  One was at the Walton On Thames shop, and the other was at our Hammersmith branch.  Somehow my call had cut into a call they had made to each other and they had no idea that by some fluke I, their ogre of a boss, could hear their every word!

I loved it, not because I could eavesdrop but because of the scope for bullspin this fluke would give me.  I listened to their small talk, waiting for a suitable time to enter the conversation and it soon came.  "I wonder who'll be the manager of the new shop," one of them asked and I boomed, "THAT WILL BE MY DECISION!"  I said nothing more and enjoyed the stunned silence that followed.  "Did you say that?" was the question Robert eventually asked his far away friend who replied in a puzzled tone, "It sounded like Ken's voice."  "IT WAS," I boomed again, "I'm just checking to see everyone's in on time, well done both of you."  I then wished them a happy and successful new year and said a quick goodbye. I've no idea what conversation followed between my two stunned managers, but I do know that the story had spread throughout the shops by the days end.  In the weeks that followed I was repeatedly asked how I did it, but of course I gave no answer for I had no idea what had happened.  It had never happened before and it never did again but, 'Opportunistic Kenneth,' took full advantage.  I had another string to my bow with regard to the discipline and timekeeping of my staff for now they thought I controlled the phone lines!

Those of you who enjoyed this story of just one of, 'My Lucky Fluke Days,' may wish to read Cosy No. 95.
Ken

Re: (111) 'Opportunistic Kenneth'

Ken
Administrator
The early bird catches the worm and an opportunistic cat catches the bird.  This short story tells how, for many a long year, I always managed to turn events to my advantage.  They were gloriously happy days!