(120) 'Roll on May 9th'

Ken

(120) 'Roll on May 9th'

Ken
Administrator
This post was updated on .
On August 24, 1957, the singer, Paul Anka, entered the British top twenty at number five with a song called, 'Diana.' The next week it hit the No.1 spot in what was then called, 'The Hit Parade.'  It was a massive, self penned, hit for the sixteen year old and was still in the charts some twenty two weeks later. My question to you is who were the people who finally decided to buy the record in the January of 1958, and why on earth did they wait so long to do so?  I believe they're the equivalent of the current crop of, 'Don't Knows,' who procrastinate endlessly on who they will vote for in the forthcoming General Election!

Thankfully, despite all of my many faults, my wife still loves me, however, this didn't stop her from saying I've always possessed the arrogance of certainty.  Her attack came because I was lambasting the ditherers who cannot make decisions, be it on politics, what to wear or where to eat.  She didn't get my analogy with the pop charts, so I pointed out that I'd brought Joe Brown's, 'Picture Of You,' the day after I first heard it because I knew I liked it.  I'd done the same with records by Elvis, the Beatles, the Searchers and the Stones and I didn't need to ponder for weeks before doing so.  "It's called Decision making and I question whether these vacillating nonentities even deserve the right to vote."  I knew my beloved lady would respond to that arrogant statement and what followed was a lively discussion on my positive decisiveness.

I spoke to her of the perishingly cold winters day back in 1992 when, due to a mistake of hers, we'd found ourselves locked out of the house.  We were dressed in only light, indoor clothing, so an instant decision was called for and the result was I smashed a pane of a glass with a hammer.  After reaching in to open the kitchen window, I eased my considerable bulk into the warmth of the house.  "From the time of the accidental lock out in the freezing cold to us being back in our warm home less than three minutes had past," I reminded her.  Jenny then asked if I also recalled using some Sellotape and an old Bakelite tray to replace the broken window pane?  "That tray remained there until the house was renovated five years later thanks to your instant decision," was her self satisfied remark.  Pointing out that I'd obviously reached the conclusion that the tray looked good, I returned to the safer territory of the, 'Don't Knows.'  Those sad people who can't reach a simple decision, whether it be when to buy a record or where to place their vote!

I wrote the first part of this article on April 13 and for two weeks its remained unfinished.  Today, 27.4.15, my postal vote arrived and its now completed ready for posting and I've placed my cross next to the conservative candidate for the first time since 1979.  I confess to being surprised that nationwide the polls don't show the Conservatives way ahead of the Miliband led Labour party.  Quite frankly, I can't see how any thinking man could vote for him for, in my not so humble opinion, the man oozes insincerity with every word he speaks.  However, on May 8th it seems he may very well be our next Prime Minister and I await that day with interest.  In between I will continue to view the political programmes avidly, searching for those wise people who mirror my views and reinforce my prejudices.  Jenny's looking forward to May 9th!

9/5/15. Update.

Rejoice, The polls had it completely wrong and sanity ruled in the majority of minds.  The Conservatives were able to form a Government with a small overall majority and Ed Miliband was forced to resign as the Labour leader.  Even more pleasing was the news that Ed Balls lost his Parliamentary seat.

Ken

Re: (120) 'Roll on April 9'

Ken
Administrator
This Cosy article links my thoughts on some record buyers of 1957 with the indecisive 'don't know' voters of today.  Both are pains in the backside to the people who think like me!