(128) 'A Tuffs Sense Of Humour'

Ken

(128) 'A Tuffs Sense Of Humour'

Ken
Administrator
This post was updated on .
As the days flow into weeks a new pattern of living has been thrust upon me.  My dual illness of an advanced cancer and some sort of tumour at the base of my spine has been life changing.  However, my daily existence is far from the world of doom and gloom it could be if I allowed the illness to win. It won't!

Happily, I can still lose myself in a daily Kindle experience or immerse myself in the many Netflix adventures available to all for a small monthly fee.  I've always loved history and YouTube seems to offer, free of charge, a never ending supply on a subject matter close to my heart.  Sadly, circumstance has now forced me to spend more of my life in bed and that's when the demons of the night can attempt to create some midnight mayhem.  But my recent discovery of podcasts and catch up radio daily comes to my rescue and, if I awake at 3am, then its not long before those vagabonds of ill opportunity are sent packing.  Later, between five and six pm, my darling Jenny appears at my bedroom door with that familiar smile that never fails to delight.  After unplugging me from my night time water works apparatus, Jenny then makes us both a cup of tea which we enjoy with the help of Luna, our much loved Cavachon puppy.  Her excitement as she approaches every new day is a joy to be part of and a contentment enwraps me as I share her early morning antics. Then my day begins - - - -

My first job is to prepare my medication for the day ahead, no easy task for until recently I had to swallow a total of fifty, prescribed tablets throughout the day.  It was with some amusement that I picked up on the Doctors comments that they could reduce all medication that was part of a long term health strategy.  I'm now down to about thirty tablets a day for they've stopped wasting the long term medication on me.  My next job is to complete the non lavatorial part of my morning ablutions, all carried out from my sick bed with water brought in by Jenny.  This includes washing my upper body, cleaning my disintegrating teeth, shaving, etc. The more difficult washing around the nether regions is, thankfully, performed by Jenny, so I know that when the district nurse calls I will, at least, be clean.  Another daily regret I have to accept is that I no longer have any control over my bowel movements. This means that I spend some considerable time seated on my bedroom commode in hopeful anticipation of a bodily function of some kind.  The tediousness of this is made easier by listening to even more podcasts.

My children have both praised me of late for my viewpoint with regard to life and death.  They say my attitude has helped them and this can be summed up with this short story about a Chinese takeaway meal. After we had all enjoyed the scrumptious food, we found we were each supplied with a fortune cookie to finish off the meal.  One by one my family devoured the tasty cookies whilst reading out the prophecy written on the slip of paper that each cookie contained, until, that is, it was my turn...  When I broke open my sugary cookie all present saw that it was empty, that it contained no futuristic prophesy at all.  With a feigned looked of misery I immediately said, "That's because I've got no future," then after a few seconds of over acting I smiled and for some reason laughter broke out. Following on that my daughter, Kathryn, pretended to find my missing message, "Its a message from Dr. Spock of Star Trek," she said.  When I asked what it said, she replied, "Live long and prosper!" Cue more spontaneous laughter from all who were there. That black humour is vintage, 'Tuffs Humour,' and apparently it lives on in my children for which I'm both pleased and proud.
Ken

Re: (128) 'A Tuffs Sense Of Humour'

Ken
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Reality see's us all get old and eventually fall ill.  Black humour, if used correctly, can make such times seem immeasurably better, which has benefited both my family and myself.